ANGOLA, Ind. - A late rally by the Wisconsin Lutheran College football team was held off by Trine as the Warriors dropped the MIAA/NACC Challenge by a score of 17-12 Saturday afternoon at Zollner Athletic Stadium.
- Final Score: Trine 17, Wisconsin Lutheran 12
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (1-2), Trine (2-1)
- Location: Zollner Athletic Stadium, Angola, Ind. | Attendance: 3,420
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Trine struck first, needing just three plays on the scoring drive, as Lamar Carswell ran 51 yards for the opening touchdown to lead 7-0.
- The Warriors answered on their next possession with a five-play, 67-yard drive that ended with a 38-yard Mitch Skarban (Appleton, Wis./Fox Valley Lutheran) catch from Gino DeGeorge (Las Vegas, Nev./Faith Lutheran) to tie the game at 7-7.
- After an interception return of 44 yards, Mark Haydock knocked in a 32-yard field goal to put the Thunder back in front 10-7.
- Trine went eight plays and 85 yards in 3:19 ending with an Evan Wyse one-yard touchdown run expanding the Thunder lead at the half to 17-7.
- Both teams punted on their first possession of the second half. At the 7:01 mark of the third quarter, Trine fumbled a Matt Grams (Milwaukee, Wis./Pius XI) punt in the end zone and the Thunder recovered for a safety, as WLC pulled closer at 17-9.
- After the ensuing kickoff, the Warriors marched down the field to set up a 31-yard field goal by Grams to pull Wisconsin Lutheran within a touchdown at 17-12.
- WLC had one final shot to win the game, driving to the Trine 49-yard line, but DeGeorge's pass was intercepted by Charles Dreessen to end the contest.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Thunder out-gained the Warriors 406-344 in total offense. WLC piled up 227 yards through the air and 117 yards on the ground.
- DeGeorge was 25-for-41 for 217 yards, with one passing touchdown and one interception.
- Skarban hauled in eight catches for 81 yards and a score.
- Josh Helton (Houston, Texas/Waltrip) carried the ball 10 times for 39 yards and Isaiah Butler (Ixonia, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) had eight carries for 36 yards.
- Tanner Behnke (Brillion, Wis./Brillion) led WLC with 10 tackles.
- Wyse was 6-for-12 for 66 yards in the air and ran 109 yards on 17 attempts and a score.
- Gage Corner and Andrew Bonfiglio made three catches for 40 and 26 yards, respectively.
- Carswell led the Thunder with 131 rushing yards on 14 carries and a touchdown. Trine racked up 340 yards rushing on 48 attempts.
- Marcus Winters recorded 12 tackles and Dreessen recorded two interceptions.
- This was the sixth meeting all-time between the Warriors and Thunder, as the two teams were MIAA opponents from 2003-2007.
- The Warriors have a bye next week and will be back in action October 3 against Lakeland. Kickoff for the NACC opener and Homecoming is scheduled for 1 p.m. at Raabe Stadium. Links to live audio and stats will be available at wlcsports.com. The Muskies dropped a 47-21 decision to Albion on Saturday.