RIVER FOREST, Ill. - The Wisconsin Lutheran College football team jumped out to a 45-3 first-half lead on its way to a 59-15 rout of Concordia Chicago in a Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference contest Saturday at Concordia Stadium.
WHERE THEY STAND
- The Warriors improved to 3-3 and 2-1 in the NACC and the Cougars fell to 0-5 and 0-3 in NACC play.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Concordia Chicago punter Brendan Shumaker fumbled a snap at the end of the first drive of the game, and Caleb Heinritz (Sussex, Wis./Homeschooled) scooped it up and ran it into the end zone from 18 yards out to give the Warriors a 7-0 lead.
- Gino DeGeorge (Las Vegas, Nev./Faith Lutheran) hit Mitch Skarban (Appleton, Wis./Fox Valley Lutheran) for a 30-yard touchdown pass with 8:08 to play in the first quarter.
- Following an interception by Bryce Schoen (Clintonville, Wis./Clintonville) on the next drive, WLC took advantage of a short field and punched it into the end zone on DeGeorge's two-yard run to extend the lead to 21-0.
- The next Warriors' drive ended in two plays, as Mike King (Orlando, Fla./East Ridge) caught a screen pass and sprinted 75 yards into the end zone to make it 28-0 with :18 seconds to play in the opening quarter.
- CUC scored on a 24-yard field goal by Zach Slusher early in the second quarter.
- Dakota Eland (Menominee, Mich./Menominee) returned an interception 44 yards and into the end zone with 10:28 remaining in the first half.
- Anthony Rodriguez (Kissimmee, Fla./Gateway) scored on a six-yard touchdown run and Matt Grams (Milwaukee, Wis./Pius XI) hit a 22-yard field goal to push the lead to 45-3. The Cougars cut the deficit to 45-9 at halftime on a 38-yard touchdown pass from Acusio Bivona to Rashad Lofton.
- Midway through the third quarter, Heinritz scored his second touchdown of the game on a pick-six that he returned two yards into the end zone.
- Tion Posey's three-yard touchdown run provided the lone points for CUC in the second half.
- Tom LaLande (Appleton, Wis./North) capped the scoring with a two-yard touchdown run with 1:29 left in the game.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Warriors improved to 4-3 all-time against the Cougars.
- WLC's 59 points were the second-most in program history, trailing only a 61-point outing against Maranatha on October 1, 2011.
- WLC outgained CUC 391 to 312 yards and limited the Cougars to -11 rushing yards, the second straight week in which the defense has held the opposition to negative rushing yards.
- Mike Reeves (Hoffman Estates, Ill./Hoffman Estates) ran for 82 yards on 13 carries. DeGeorge was 7-for-11 passing for 181 yards, two touchdowns (plus one rushing touchdown), and one interception. King made three grabs for 89 yards and a touchdown.
- Eland registered a team-high seven tackles to go along with his pick-six. Jestin Heimbruch (Manawa, Wis./Little Wolf) and Daeon Farris (Racine, Wis./Case) collected six tackles apiece.
- Bivona was 28-for-49 for 323 yards, one touchdown, and four interceptions. Elijah Walker led all receivers with nine receptions for 122 yards. Tyson Burch made a game-high nine tackles and added an interception.
- WLC plays its final non-conference game when it travels to face Adrian (5-1) next Saturday at 12 p.m. Live audio and stats will be available on wlcsports.com.