MILWAUKEE - The Wisconsin Lutheran College football team built an early 17-0 lead, and the defense contained Benedictine in the Warriors' 17-6 Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference victory Saturday afternoon at Raabe Stadium.
WHERE THEY STAND
- The Warriors improved to 2-3 and 1-1 in the NACC and BenU dropped to 1-4 with an 0-1 mark in the NACC.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The teams exchanged a pair of fumbles in the first minute and a half of action. Jestin Heimbruch (Manawa, Wis./Little Wolf) recovered BenU's fumble on the first possession of the game and recorded an interception to end the Eagles' next drive.
- Following the interception Gino DeGeorge, (Las Vegas, Nev./Faith Lutheran) completed a pass to Mike King (Orlando, Fla./East Ridge) for 13 yards to move WLC into field goal range, and Matt Grams (Milwaukee, Wis./Pius XI) nailed a 38-yard field goal to hand the Warriors a 3-0 lead midway through the opening quarter.
- Less than two minutes later, after a three-and-out by BenU, DeGeorge connected with Mitch Skarban (Appleton, Wis./Fox Valley Lutheran) on a 34-yard touchdown pass to extend the lead to 10-0.
- Late in the second quarter, Mike Reeves (Hoffman Estates, Ill./Hoffman Estates) churned out the majority of the yardage in a 12-play, 60-yard drive, and DeGeorge ran it into the end zone from three yards out to make it 17-0.
- BenU took advantage of good field position to score on an 18-yard touchdown pass from Ryan Keener to Omar Lopez with three seconds left in the half to cut the deficit to 17-6 after a blocked extra point.
- Both teams were held scoreless in the second half of action and the Warriors' defense made crucial stops on two BenU drives in the fourth quarter.
- Early in the final quarter, the Eagles had 1st and Goal at WLC's 1-yard line, but moved backwards on a fumble before throwing three incompletions to turn it over on downs. On their next drive, the Eagles reached the Warriors' 20 before back-to-back sacks by Luke Sebald (Menomonee Falls, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) caused another turnover on downs.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- WLC improved to 3-4 in the all-time series against BenU.
- The Warriors outgained the Eagles 335 to 255 yards, and held Benedictine to -4 rushing yards.
- Reeves ran for 184 yards on 36 carries for the Warriors. DeGeorge was 15-for-28 through the air for 132 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions. Skarban made seven grabs for 66 yards and a score. Heimbruch and Josh Reznack (Hales Corners, Wis./Pius XI) tied for the team lead with six tackles, and Heimbruch added two fumble recoveries and an interception. Sebald registered five tackles and two sacks.
- Keener was 20-for-37 for 213 yards with one touchdown and one interception for the Eagles. Greg German hauled in nine passes for 144 yards. Jarrett Lecas notched a game-high 11 tackles and an interception for Benedictine.
- The Warriors begin a string of three straight road games with a NACC contest at Concordia Chicago (0-4, 0-2 NACC) next Saturday at 1 p.m. Live audio coverage begins with the pregame show at 12:30 on wlcsports.com.