MILWAUKEE - The Wisconsin Lutheran College football team trimmed a 20-0 deficit down to 20-14 with a pair of fourth-quarter touchdowns, but was held off by Lake Forest in a 20-14 non-conference defeat Saturday night in the season opener at Raabe Stadium.
WHERE THEY STAND
- The Warriors dropped to 0-1 and the Foresters jumped to 1-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Anthony Prestly completed two passes for 28 yards on Lake Forest's third drive of the game to move the Foresters into field goal range, where Jon Gurchak converted a 39-yard kick to give Lake Forest a 3-0 lead with 3:01 remaining in the opening quarter.
- The Foresters defense forced five straight three-and-outs for the Warriors offense in the second quarter, and Lake Forest broke through with a pair of touchdowns in the final 1:17 of the half.
- After starting a drive from WLC's 34-yard line, Prestly completed a pass for 28 yards to Max Sorby and then ran it in on third-and-goal from the six for the Foresters' first touchdown.
- The Warriors went three-and-out, and Joey Kropp returned the ensuing punt 44 yards to WLC's 25-yard line with 11 seconds remaining in the half. Prestly connected with Willie McIntyre on a 25-yard touchdown strike on the next play to give the Foresters a 17-0 halftime lead.
- Prestly found McIntyre again in the third quarter for a 32-yard gain, setting up a 45-yard field goal by Gurchak to hand the Foresters a 20-0 lead, which they held entering the fourth quarter.
- On WLC's first drive of the fourth quarter, quarterback Anthony Hernandez (Goodyear, Ariz./Desert Edge) completed three passes to Eli Campbell (Clermont, Fla./East Ridge) for 29 yards, including an 11-yard touchdown completion with 9:30 left in the game.
- Lake Forest was forced to punt on the next possession, and on the next play Hernandez hit Campbell for an 84-yard touchdown to pull the Warriors to within 20-14 with 7:27 remaining.
- The Warriors forced a fumble on the next drive, recovered by Aaron Allister (Lake Mills, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) on WLC's 25-yard line.
- WLC went three-and-out and punted the ball away with 4:14 remaining. Lake Forest converted two first downs, including a fourth-and-one from the Warriors' 49 to run out the clock.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Warriors outgained the Foresters 367 to 291 yards. WLC piled up 307 yards through the air and 60 yards on the ground.
- Both teams were 6-of-17 on third down conversions.
- Lake Forest controlled time of possession, holding the ball for 37:03 to WLC's 22:57.
- Hernandez was 22-for-42 for 307 yards, with two touchdowns two interceptions. Campbell hauled in seven catches for 174 yards and two touchdowns.
- Mike Reeves (Hoffman Estates, Ill./Hoffman Estates) carried the ball 12 times for 52 yards.
- Jestin Heimbruch (Manawa, Wis./Little Wolf) led WLC with seven tackles and 1.5 sacks. Tanner Behnke (Brillion, Wis./Brillion) contributed six tackles, two tackles for loss, and one sack. Luke Sebald (Menomonee Falls, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) made five tackles, including three behind the line of scrimmage.
- Prestly was 11-for-24 for 181 yards with one touchdown and one interception. McIntyre made four catches for 75 yards and a score. Charlie Quinn led the Foresters with 48 rushing yards on 15 carries. Chris Rantis recorded a game-high nine tackles and made an interception and Pat Clark added seven tackles and an interception.
- WLC fell to 3-12 all-time in season-opening contests and 5-10 in home openers. The Warriors moved to 2-4 against Midwest Conference foes.
- The Warriors travel to northern Illinois to face NAIA opponent Trinity International (1-0) next Saturday at 1 p.m. A live audio broadcast will be available on wlcsports.com.