MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College baseball team concluded its 2018 season with a pair of NACC defeats against Aurora by scores of 9-3 and 13-2 in seven innings Saturday afternoon on Senior Day and ALS Awareness Day at a sun-splashed Neumann Family Field.
- Final Scores: Aurora 9, Wisconsin Lutheran 3; Aurora 13, Wisconsin Lutheran 2 (7 inn.)
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (11-26, 7-13 NACC), Aurora (26-12, 13-7 NACC)
- Location: Neumann Family Field, Milwaukee, Wis.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Spartans struck first in the second inning as they scored a pair of runs aided from two errors by the Warriors.
- AU tacked on two more in the fourth inning to lead 4-0 after four innings of play.
- AJ Gill's sacrifice fly in the fifth inning pushed Aurora's lead to 5-0.
- The Warriors scratched the scoring column in the sixth inning with a two-run homerun to left by Sid Lehman (Theresa, Wis.), cutting AU's lead to 5-2.
- Aurora responded with a pair of runs in its half of the seventh, pushing the lead to 7-2.
- WLC got one back in the bottom half of the seventh inning with an RBI groundout from Brock Vredeveld (Waterloo, Wis.).
- The Spartans added two runs in the ninth inning to extend their lead to 9-3.
- Jake Wiedower (St. Francis, Wis.) suffered the loss, allowing three earned runs in 4.0 innings.
- Jake Constien (Sun Prairie, Wis.) led the Warriors with two hits in the contest.
- The Warriors were plagued by five errors in the opener of the twinbill.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- KJ Banse (Racine, Wis.) gave WLC an early 2-0 lead with a towering homerun to right field in the first inning.
- AU responded with three runs in the second on three hits and three walks, giving them an early 3-2 advantage.
- The Spartans tacked on a pair of runs in the third inning, extending their lead to 5-2.
- Aurora scored three more runs in the fourth and five in the fifth to give itself a 13-2 victory in seven innings.
- Vredeveld was 4-for-4 in the final game of his Warriors career.
- Dylan Knoespel (Brillion, Wis.) suffered the defeat on the bump, allowing eight earned runs in 4.0 innings for WLC.
FOR THE FOES
- Chris Roycroft remained unbeaten on the season after allowing just one earned run in 6.0 innings on the hill. The Spartans racked up 15 hits in the opener, led by three hits apiece from Jett Wedekind, Bryce DeSpain, and Paul Dobravec.
- Kyle Blunt improved to 5-3 on the mound after allowing two runs on four hits in 5.0 innings of work. Austin Wiskow recorded three hits for AU, while three other Spartans added two more hits.
- The Warriors finish their 2018 season 11-26 overall and 7-13 in the NACC. WLC bid farewell to its nine seniors during a pregame ceremony before today's games.