MEQUON, Wis. (WLCSports.com) – Jake Wiedower (St. Francis, Wis.) delivered a complete-game, three-hit shutout in game one of the Wisconsin Lutheran College baseball team's 1-0 victory over Concordia Wisconsin Sunday afternoon. CUW won the nightcap of the twinbill, 13-0, in seven innings for a series split at Kapco Park. It was the fourth straight series split between the Warriors and Falcons.
- Final Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 1, Concordia Wisconsin 0; Concordia Wisconsin 13, Wisconsin Lutheran 0
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (9-17, 6-6 NACC), Concordia Wisconsin (15-12, 5-6 NACC)
- Location: Kapco Park, Mequon, Wis.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Neither team threatened to score until the bottom of the fourth when the Warriors' Ryan Michael (Racine, Wis.) scored after a dropped infield popout with two outs to give WLC a 1-0 lead.
- Wiedower retired the first 13 batters of the game until a single with one out in the fifth broke up the perfect game. The Falcons loaded the bases in the frame but failed to score a run.
- CUW threatened again in the sixth after a two-out hit by pitch and stolen base, but Wiedower stranded another runner in scoring position to maintain a 1-0 lead for the Green and White.
- The Falcons placed the tying run on second base in the eighth inning but Wiedower stranded the runner yet again.
- Concordia Wisconsin found the tying run on base once again in the ninth but the threat ended quickly after Brock Vredeveld (Waterloo, Wis.) turned a double play on a soft liner to secure the conference victory for WLC.
- Wiedower earned his first win of the season after scattering three hits and two walks in a complete-game, five-strikeout effort.
- The Warriors had just three hits in the opener, one apiece from Michael, Brett Jakel (Reeseville, Wis.), and Jake Constien (Sun Prairie, Wis.).
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- After being shutout in the opener, CUW wasted no time striking first in the nightcap as the first five batters reached base and scored two runs, but Vredeveld retired the next three with the bases loaded to limit the damage at just 2-0.
- Concordia Wisconsin added on four runs in the second to push its advantage to 6-0.
- The Warriors threatened to get back into the game after three walks loaded the bases in the second, but an inning-ending double play kept the Falcons shutout intact.
- CUW tacked on two more runs in the third inning for an 8-0 lead.
- Vredeveld doubled to right field in the third for WLC's first and only hit of the game, but was stranded in scoring position.
- The Warriors got two consecutive scoreless frames from Sid Lehman (Theresa, Wis.) to keep the deficit at 8-0 after five innings.
- The Falcons broke the game wide open with a five-run frame in the sixth, highlighted by a solo homerun from Michael Szeszol to lead off the inning.
- The Warriors had just one hit in the contest and were hurt by four errors in the field.
- Vredeveld suffered the loss as he allowed six runs, three earned, on eight hits in 2.0 innings of work.
FOR THE FOES
- Matt Olig suffered a tough loss in game one, allowing one unearned run over 8.0 innings with only three hits allowed. The Falcons got a hit apiece from Justin Barney, Kyle Hilliard, and Kyle Washburn.
- Tyler Moilanen earned the complete-game win in 7.0 innings of work with only one hit allowed and six strikeouts. The Falcons tallied 14 hits, paced by three apiece from Szeszol and Dan Ranieri.
- The Warriors return to NACC play Wednesday for a trip to Plymouth to take on Lakeland (5-13, 1-7 NACC) in a doubleheader starting at Noon. The Muskies had off today and last split a twinbill with CUW Saturday.