MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College baseball team dropped two conference games to the fourth-ranked Concordia Chicago Cougars Wednesday afternoon at Neumann Family Field. WLC out-hit CUC, 13-9, in game one but stranded 16 runners on base.
- Final Scores: Concordia Chicago 7, Wisconsin Lutheran 1; Concordia Chicago 16, Wisconsin Lutheran 5
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (5-16, 3-5 NACC), Concordia Chicago (17-5, 4-0 NACC)
- Location: Neumann Family Field, Milwaukee, Wis.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Cougars got on the board in the top of the second inning after an RBI single from Connor Brandon, followed by a double down the right field line from Jose Mercado, which plated two runs for CUC, giving them a 3-0 lead.
- WLC got a run back in the bottom of the third after Brett Jakel (Reeseville, Wis.) singled to center field, then stole second base, and later crossed home plate after a single from KJ Banse (Racine, Wis.).
- CUC plated another run in the top of the fifth inning after a sacrifice fly, then two more in the top of the seventh after an error and single to right field, pushing its lead to 6-1.
- After leaving the bases loaded in the fourth and fifth, the Warriors threatened again in the bottom of the eighth inning when they loaded the bases after singles from Jake Constien (Sun Prairie, Wis.), Brannigan Hart (Davie, Fla.) and Jakel, but were unable to score, with the Cougars maintaining a 6-1 advantage.
- An RBI single from Bryan VanDuser in the top of the ninth inning added an insurance run for CUC, pushing its lead to 7-1.
- Ryan Michael (Racine, Wis.) reached base for the fourth time in the game in the bottom of the ninth on an error then Sid Lehman (Theresa, Wis.) doubled to the left-center gap, but the Warriors were unable to score, giving Concordia Chicago the 7-1 victory.
- Banse, Jakel, and Michael each collected three hits in the contest, with Banse driving in the lone run for WLC.
- Jake Wiedower (St. Francis, Wis.) took the loss in the opener, allowing four earned runs over 6+ innings.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Cougars struck first in game two, putting two runs on the board in the top of the first inning.
- WLC answered with two runs of its own in the bottom of the frame when Kasey Zdroik (Plainfield, Wis.) skied a ball to center field that was dropped, scoring Banse and Wiedower.
- CUC scored a run in the top of the second inning on an RBI groundout, but the Warriors scored a run of their own when Jakel singled up the middle, driving in Constien to tie the contest at 3-3 after two.
- The Cougars put three runs on the board in the top of the third after a two-run homerun from Jacob Frank, followed by a run scoring on a wild pitch to give CUC a 6-3 lead.
- Wisconsin Lutheran got a run back in the bottom of the third after an RBI single from Constien, scoring Zdroik who reached on a single earlier in the inning.
- Concordia Chicago added a run in the top of the fourth inning off of a wild pitch, then scored seven runs in the top of the fifth inning on five hits, increasing its lead to 14-4.
- Constien drove in his second run of the contest in the fifth with a fielder's choice, scoring Hart.
- CUC added runs in the top of the sixth and seventh innings to make the score 16-5, giving the Cougars the victory in seven innings.
- Eight different Warriors collected hits in game two, with Constien driving in two runs and Jakel plating the other run for WLC.
FOR THE FOES
- Connor Brandon and Jose Mercado each collected multiple hits in game one, with Mercado driving in two runs.
- Noah Dressler earned the victory in game one, throwing 5.0 innings and allowing only one run.
- Seven different Cougars collected multiple hits in game two, with Jacob Frank leading with three RBIs.
- Cody Caballero earned the win, throwing 4.0 innings while allowing two earned runs.
- The Warriors host Maranatha (0-9) in a single non-conference game Thursday afternoon at 4:00 p.m. at Neumann Family Field. The game is a replacement of the originally scheduled doubleheader from April 5.