VERONA, Wis. (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College baseball team returned to the diamond for the first time in nearly a week and split a Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference doubleheader with Edgewood Sunday afternoon at Stampfl Field. The Warriors won the opener, 4-3, before the Eagles held on in game two, 3-2.
- Final Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 4, Edgewood 3; Edgewood 3, Wisconsin Lutheran 2
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (5-14, 3-3 NACC), Edgewood (4-12, 1-3 NACC)
- Location: Stampfl Field, Verona, Wis.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Warriors saw at least one runner reach base in each of their first four innings, but were unable to plate a run across.
- The Eagles used a two-out rally in the third inning to take a 2-0 lead on Wisconsin Lutheran. EC put together four straight two-out singles, including a two-RBI hit from Bryan Sternig.
- WLC responded with four runs on four hits in the fourth inning, including RBIs from KJ Banse (Racine, Wis.) and Ryan Michael (Racine, Wis.). The Warriors were also aided by consecutive Edgewood errors in the frame.
- EC scored a run in the sixth and threatened for more, but Brock Vredeveld (Waterloo, Wis.) worked around two walks and escaped a bases-load jam with the Warriors leading 3-2.
- Wisconsin Lutheran threatened in the seventh and eighth, but stranded five runners on base over those two innings.
- The Eagles were retired in order over their last 3.0 innings as Jacob Smrz (Milwaukee, Wis.) pitched the final 2.0 innings for his second save of the season.
- Vredeveld struck out seven over 7.0 innings to earn his second win of the season. He scattered seven hits and allowed three runs.
- Brett Jakel (Reeseville, Wis.) led WLC with three hits, while Banse, Michael, and Brannigan Hart (Davie, Fla.) each had two.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Warriors jumped out to an early 2-0 lead in game two, as Kasey Zdroik's (Plainfield, Wis.) double to left-center plated Jakel and Banse.
- Wisconsin Lutheran put its first two runners on in the second and loaded the bases with two outs, but the Eagles escaped the inning with no damage done.
- Edgewood loaded the bases after two outs in the second, but Dylan Knoespel (Brillion, Wis.) struck out the last batter of the inning to end the threat.
- EC evened the score at 2-2 in the third with a pair of two-out singles and a steal of home. Edgewood jumped in front 3-2 in the fourth on a two-out single from Bryan Sternig.
- WLC put runners on the corners with nobody out in the seventh, but a caught stealing, strike out, and groundout thwarted the tying run from crossing home plate. The Green and White also placed a runner in scoring position in the eighth, but another strike out ended the inning.
- With two down in the Warriors' ninth, Banse belted a ball deep to right field, but was caught at the fence and the game came to an end.
- Jakel, Banse, and Jake Constien (Sun Prairie, Wis.) tallied a pair of hits each for Wisconsin Lutheran, which out-hit Edgewood, 8-6, but left 10 runners on base.
- Knoespel fanned seven over 8.0 innings, including the final 3.0 innings of hitless ball. He scattered six hits and gave up three runs to take the tough defeat.
FOR THE FOES
- Eagles' game one starter Adam Eck pitched 7.0 innings and struck out a career-high 14 batters, but suffered the loss. Edgewood pitchers totaled 18 strikeouts and no earned runs allowed. Peter Perales had two of EC's seven hits in the opener.
- Nick Cheaney recorded two of the Eagles' six hits in game two. Alex Meister tossed 6.0 innings of six-hit ball to earn the win. Steve Gavin closed out the game with the save in a scoreless 3.0 innings of relief.
- The Warriors are back home Wednesday when they host fifth-ranked Concordia Chicago (14-4, 2-0 NACC) in a 12:00 p.m. NACC doubleheader at Neumann Family Field. The Cougars have won five straight conference championships and advanced to the World Series a season ago. Live stats will be available for both games at WLCSports.com.