FORT MYERS, Fla. (WLCSports.com) – The Wisconsin Lutheran College baseball team dropped two games, 6-2 and 5-1, on the second day of action against Amherst Monday afternoon at the Gene Cusic Collegiate Classic at the Player Development Complex.
- Final Scores: Amherst 6, Wisconsin Lutheran 2; Amherst 5, Wisconsin Lutheran 1
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (2-2), Amherst (2-1)
- Location: Player Development Complex, Fort Myers, Fla.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Warriors jumped out to an early lead in the top of the first when Brannigan Hart (Davie, Fla.) scored on a sacrifice fly to right field by Jake Wiedower (St. Francis, Wis.).
- The Mammoths took the lead in the bottom half of the second on a three-RBI double to left from Topher Brown.
- Amherst added to its tally later in the second inning as Kai Terada-Herzer scored on a fielder's choice.
- The Mammoths scored two more runs in the fifth inning on an RBI double by Harry Roberson and an RBI single by Nick Nardone.
- The Warriors got a run back in the sixth on a leadoff homerun from KJ Banse (Racine, Wis.), his second of the week.
- Hart reached base with a hit and a walk for Wisconsin Lutheran. Brock Vredeveld (Waterloo, Wis.) went 2-for-3 with a walk for the Warriors' offense.
- Spencer Michaelis (Wauwatosa, Wis.) suffered the loss in 3.1 innings, allowing four earned runs on five hits while striking out two batters.
- Joe Serbiak (Brookfield, Wis.) tossed a scoreless inning of relief in his collegiate debut.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Amherst struck first in the opening inning when Terada-Herzer scored on a sacrifice fly by Roberson.
- WLC answered in the next half inning with an RBI single to right field by Banse.
- The Mammoths struck again in the second on a sacrifice fly by Ryan Hardin which plated Brown.
- Amherst added two more runs in the third as Severnio Simeone was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded and the next batter, William Murphy, walked.
- Amherst added one more insurance run on a sacrifice fly to left field by Roberson.
- Jake Constien (Sun Prairie, Wis.) suffered the loss in 3.0 innings, allowing four runs, three earned, on two hits.
- Ryan Ruechel (Pulaski, Wis.) struckout three in a scoreless 2.0 innings of relief work.
- WLC only had four hits, one apiece from Hart, Vredeveld, Banse, and Brett Jakel (Reeseville, Wis.).
FOR THE FOES
- In game one, Nardone went 3-for-3 with an RBI. Davis Brown earned the win, allowing two runs, one earned, on five hits while striking out five.
- Zach Horwitz earned the win, allowing no runs on just one hit in 4.0 relief innings in game two.
- The Warriors return to action in Fort Myers Tuesday morning with a single nine-inning game against Plattsburgh (2-2). First pitch is scheduled for 8:00 a.m. CST at Terry Park.