WAUKESHA, Wis. (WLCSports.com) – A seven-run fifth inning doomed the Wisconsin Lutheran College baseball team as it dropped a non-conference contest against Carroll by a score of 10-7 on Thursday night at Frame Park.
- Score: Carroll 10, Wisconsin Lutheran 7
- Location: Frame Park, Waukesha, Wis.
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (16-19), Carroll (12-25)
- The Warriors offense exploded for five runs in the third inning with a RBI from Brannigan Hart (Davie, Fla./Western) and two RBI apiece from KJ Banse (Racine, Wis./St. Catherine's) and Joe Hanson (La Crosse, Wis./Logan).
- Jake Schwall (West Allis, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran) launched his first career home run to lead off the fourth inning to extend the WLC lead to 6-0.
- Carroll got a run back on a Warriors error in the fourth to trim the lead to 6-1.
- The Pioneers used four walks and a three-run blast from Hunter Frey to break out for seven runs in the fifth inning to take an 8-6 lead.
- The hosts scored two more insurance runs in the seventh to push their lead to 10-6.
- Wisconsin Lutheran got a run in the ninth as Schwall scored on a wild pitch, but Carroll stranded the tying run at the plate.
- Levi Schriefer (San Diego, Calif./California Lutheran) suffered the loss in 0.2 innings of relief with seven runs allowed. Schwall finished 2-for-2 with two walks and two runs scored to lead the Warriors, while Banse added two hits.
FOR THE FOES
- Four different Pioneers, who out-hit WLC 10-7, recorded two hits apiece in the game. Mark Carew earned his first win of the season, allowing one run in two innings of work out of the bullpen.
- The Warriors conclude their NACC season on Saturday when they travel to Montgomery, Ill., to take on Aurora (22-14, 11-7 NACC) for a chance at a berth in the NACC Tournament. First pitch of the doubleheader is scheduled for Noon. The Spartans, who swept the Warriors last season in Milwaukee, have won three straight games. Links to live stats and video will be available for both games at WLCSports.com.