RIVER FOREST, Ill. (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College baseball team saw a pair of late leads slip away in a doubleheader against league-leading Concordia Chicago on Monday afternoon at CUC Baseball Field. The Cougars defeated the Warriors 6-2 in game one and 8-5 in game two.
- Scores: Concordia Chicago 6, Wisconsin Lutheran 2; Concordia Chicago 8, Wisconsin Lutheran 5
- Location: CUC Baseball Field, River Forest, Ill.
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (8-16, 2-8 NACC), Concordia Chicago (19-10, 11-1 NACC)
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Warriors limited the Cougars' potent offense to just one hit through the first three innings as the game was scoreless.
- Wisconsin Lutheran loaded the bases with two outs in the fourth and Kasey Zdroik (Plainfield, Wis./Tri-County) knocked in two runs with a single through the left side for a 2-0 Warriors lead.
- Concordia Chicago plated an unearned run in its half of the fourth off an infield single.
- WLC put together its last real threat in the fifth by placing runners on first and second with just one out, but couldn't plate across a run.
- CUC pulled ahead with three runs in the seventh as four straight batters reached safely with two outs for a 4-2 lead over WLC. The hosts added a pair of insurance runs in the eighth on a two-out, two-RBI double.
- Curtis Engelbrecht (Wisconsin Rapids, Wis./Northland Lutheran), who received a no-decision after pitching a solid 6.2 innings and allowing just three hits, also led the Warriors at the plate with a 2-for-4 performance. Noah Schriefer (San Diego, Calif./California Lutheran) allowed his first runs of the season and suffered the loss in 1.0 inning of relief.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Cougars grabbed a 2-0 lead after scoring single runs in the second and third on a sac fly and two-out RBI single.
- Jake Wiedower (St. Francis, Wis./St. Francis) put the Warriors on the scoreboard the next inning with a two-out RBI single that brought home Ryan Stancl (Barlett, Ill./South Elgin).
- Concordia Chicago pushed across two runs in the fifth on a bunt single and throwing error for a 4-1 lead over Wisconsin Lutheran.
- WLC chipped away at its deficit with single runs in both the sixth and seventh innings. Sid Lehman's (Theresa, Wis./Mayville) RBI groundout scored Engelbrecht and KJ Banse's (Racine, Wis./St. Catherine's) RBI single plated Johnny Offenbacher (Waukesha, Wis./Wisconsin Lutheran).
- The Warriors capitalized on two Cougars throwing errors in the seventh to jump ahead 5-4. Run-scoring singles from Wiedower and Joe Hanson (La Crosse, Wis./Logan) gave WLC the lead.
- Concordia Chicago rallied for four runs in its half of the eighth on four hits off a pair of Warriors relievers. CUC used a pair of RBI doubles and a two-run home run for an 8-5 lead.
- WLC, which was retired in order in the ninth, is the only NACC team to hold the high-powered CUC offense to under 10 runs in both games of a doubleheader this season.
- Engelbrecht and Wiedower paced the Warriors offense with two hits each in the nightcap. Cameron Paladines (Oswego, Ill./Owego) suffered the loss in relief, giving up three runs on four hits in 1.1 innings. Starter Kyle Baron (Mukwonago, Wis./Mukwonago) earned a no-decision after pitching 6.0 strong innings, allowing just two earned runs.
FOR THE FOES
- Kevin Coppin went 2-for-3 with three RBI to lead the Cougars' offense. Mike Formella improved his record to 5-1 on the year after pitching the final 3.0 innings without allowing a hit.
- Mitch Wilson, who was one of three CUC players with three hits in the game, went 3-for-5 with three RBI and three runs scored. Alex Meyers pitched the final 3.0 innings to pick up the win in a relief role.
- The Warriors are right back in action tomorrow afternoon for a 2:00 p.m. non-conference, seven-inning doubleheader against Maranatha (2-19) at Neumann Family Field. WLC won both games over MBU by a combined score of 31-5 when the teams last played in 2015. A live audio broadcast will be available for both games at WLCSports.com.