FOND DU LAC, Wis. (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's tennis team defeated Marian 5-4 for its first conference win of the season while snapping a four-match losing streak Wednesday afternoon at Fond du Lac High School.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 5, Marian 4
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (2-4, 1-2 NACC), Marian (3-3, 2-2 NACC)
- Location: Fond du Lac High School, Fond du Lac, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors began doubles play with two victories. Emily Boyd (Lebanon, Wis.) and Paige Potaracke (La Crosse, Wis.) were 8-5 winners at No. 1. Hannah Gerbing (Pewaukee, Wis.) and Taylor Bergmann (Slinger, Wis.) were victorious, 8-3, at No. 3.
- Wisconsin Lutheran captured three singles wins, including a pair in three-set fashion to secure its first NACC win of the year. Potaracke battled for a 7-5, 3-6, 7-6 win at No. 1, Tabitha Schultz (Coeur d'Alene, Idaho) collected a 6-1, 6-1 victory at No. 2, and Gerbing concluded singles play with the Warriors' second three-set win of the day, 6-3, 4-6, 6-2, at No. 5.
- Boyd nearly tasted victory at No. 3, but fell in a heartbreaking three sets 7-5, 4-6, 5-7.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Warriors snapped a two-match losing skid to the Sabres with their 5-4 victory.
- WLC concluded a season-opening, six-match road swing, the same lengthy road trip it had two seasons ago to start the year.
FOR THE FOES
- The Sabres were winners at No. 2 doubles (8-4), No. 3 Singles (7-5, 4-6, 7-5), No. 4 Singles (6-2, 6-1), and No. 6 Singles (6-3, 7-5).
- The Warriors host their first two home matches of the season Saturday, welcoming Aurora (1-5, 1-2 NACC) and Dominican (0-4, 0-2 NACC) to the Princeton Club in New Berlin for matches at 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m., respectively. WLC lost to AU and defeated DU a season ago.