BELOIT, Wis. (WLCSports.com) - The Wisconsin Lutheran College women's tennis team opened its 2017 fall season under first-year head coach Ryan Sallmann with an impressive 8-1 victory over Beloit at Strong Complex Tennis Courts Friday afternoon in non-conference action.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 8, Beloit 1
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (1-0), Beloit (0-2)
- Location: Strong Complex Tennis Courts, Beloit, Wis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors began doubles play with three victories for a sweep. Paige Potaracke (La Crosse, Wis.) and Emily Boyd (Lebanon, Wis.) were 8-3 winners at No. 1. Tabitha Schultz (Coeur d'Alene, Idaho) and Katarina Volkmann (Slinger, Wis.) collected an 8-1 win at No. 2, and at No. 3, Taylor Bergmann (Slinger, Wis.) and Hannah Gerbing (Pewaukee, Wis.) were also 8-3 winners.
- Wisconsin Lutheran continued its dominance in singles play, winning five of six flights in straight-set fashion. Potaracke earned a 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 1, Boyd collected a 6-2, 6-3 win at No. 3, and Volkmann picked up a 6-4, 6-0 win at No. 4. Gerbing (Pewaukee, Wis.) and Reebee Ratkowski (Waterford, Wis.) concluded singles play with 6-0, 6-1 and 6-3, 6-1 wins at No. 5 and No. 6, respectively.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Warriors won their second straight season opener and sixth straight match over Beloit.
- The non-conference victory was the first for head coach Ryan Sallmann.
FOR THE FOES
- Priya Heinen collected the lone win for the Buccaneers at No. 2 singles, 7-5, 6-3.
- Wisconsin Lutheran has a quick turnaround tomorrow when it travels to Chicago for two non-conference matches starting at 12:30 p.m. against North Park (0-0) and host Illinois Tech (1-1) at 3:30 p.m. The match-ups against the Vikings and the Scarlet Hawks will be WLC's first all-time.