MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) - Kaitlyn Robison (Andalusia, Ill./Rockridge) recorded three hits to become Wisconsin Lutheran College's all-time hits leader as the Warriors swept a non-conference series from Mount Mary by identical 5-3 scores on Friday afternoon in their 2017 season finale at Neumann Family Field.
- Scores: Wisconsin Lutheran 5, Mount Mary 3; Wisconsin Lutheran 5, Mount Mary 3
- Location: Neumann Family Field, Milwaukee, Wis.
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (15-25), Mount Mary (14-21)
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- As the designated road team, the Warriors jumped out to an early 2-0 lead in the first with two-out RBIs from Taylor Bjork (Horicon, Wis./Horicon) and Karah Ritacco (Chicago, Ill./Trinity).
- Both pitchers settled into a rhythm in the circle until the fifth when Bjork knocked in her second run of the game with a RBI single up the middle to plate Melissa Ericson (Lisle, Ill./Lisle).
- The Blue Angels got the run back in the bottom half of the frame to cut the deficit to 3-1. Mount Mary scored two more runs on four hits in the sixth to knot the game at 3-3.
- Jessie Rago (Elgin, Ill./Elgin) gave the Warriors the late lead in the seventh with a two-RBI double that plated Ritacco and Abby Mahsem (South Milwaukee, Wis./South Milwaukee).
- MMU threatened in the bottom half of the seventh, but Rago left the bases loaded to end the game.
- Rago earned her first collegiate victory in 1.2 innings of relief. Mahsem did not receive a decision, allowing three earned runs in 5.1 innings in the circle. Mahsem and Ritacco led WLC with three hits apiece. Bjork added two hits and two RBI.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Neither team could plate a run in the opening innings until Paris McCullum (Kokomo, Ind./Kokomo) doubled to knock in Robison and Bjork followed with a RBI single to plate McCullum.
- Wisconsin Lutheran padded its lead with a three-run fifth inning, highlighted by RBIs from Bjork and Ritacco. A one-out single from Robison in the inning gave her the program's all-time hits record with 159.
- Mount Mary got on the scoreboard with a run in the fifth on a wild pitch. The Blue Angels scratched across two runs in the final inning but left the tying run at the plate when the game came to an end.
- Bjork and Robison paced the offense with two hits apiece. Robison surpassed Breanne Duebner's 158 career-hit mark to become the program's all-time leader with 159. Bjork earned her sixth win of the season in the circle, pitching a complete game while allowing three runs on seven hits.
FOR THE FOES
- Hannah Harnsberger suffered the defeat, allowing two runs in 3.0 innings out of the Blue Angels' bullpen. Katie Arce and Adrianna Nester paced MMU with two hits apiece.
- Nester took the loss in the nightcap in 4.0 innings in the circle, while allowing two earned runs on four hits. Six different MMU players recorded a hit in the contest.