MILWAUKEE (WLCSports.com) – The Wisconsin Lutheran College men's soccer team overcame an early 1-0 deficit by scoring three straight goals en route to a 3-1 Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference win over Lakeland on Wednesday night at Warrior Soccer Field.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 3, Lakeland 1
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (6-3-2, 3-1-0 NACC), Lakeland (2-8-0, 0-3-0 NACC)
- Location: Warrior Soccer Field, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 122
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Muskies got on the board first scoring in the 7' when Bonny Figeroa passed the ball into the box and found teammate Renan Asato who shot the ball which deflected off of the keeper into the back of the net.
- The Warriors would even the score up at one apiece in the 28' when Juan Serna (Milwaukee, Wis./St. Anthony) fired a shot that deflected off the goalie to Nick Zupinski (Kenosha, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran) who tapped it into the goal.
- The Warriors scored once more before the end of the first half when Isaiah Gronholz's (Watertown, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran) corner kick connected with the foot of Enrique Arreola (Anna, Ill./Ann-Jonesboro) who put the ball into the back of the net for his second goal of the season to give WLC a 2-1 lead at the half.
- Wisconsin Lutheran would score again early in the second half when Gronholz lofted a cross into the box from 30 yards out that was misplayed by the goalie and bounced into the back of the net for the 3-1 advantage.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- WLC out-shot Lakeland 24-9 with an 8-5 shot on goal advantage during the match.
- The Warriors were led by Gronholz who tallied four shots, scoring one goal and assisting on another.
- Serna led all players with seven shots and had one assist.
- Erek Lehnen (Fort Myers, Fla./Southwest Florida Christian) made four saves for the Warriors playing all 90:00 minutes in the net.
- The Muskies were led by Asato who recorded four of Lakeland's nine shots and had its lone goal of the match.
- The Warriors have won their last five matchups with the Muskies.
- The Warriors will play back-to-back non-conference matches this weekend, starting Friday with a 7:00 p.m. contest at UW-Whitewater (5-2-2). The Warhawks defeated Loras 2-1 on Wednesday. Links to live stats will be available at WLCSports.com.