Oct 17, 2015
MILWAUKEE – The Wisconsin Lutheran College men's soccer team's comeback fell just short as it dropped a NACC match 3-2 to Aurora on Saturday afternoon at Warrior Soccer Field.
- Final Score: Aurora 3, Wisconsin Lutheran 2
- Records: Wisconsin Lutheran (7-7-1, 3-3-1 NACC), Aurora (6-6-2, 4-1-2 NACC)
- Location: Warrior Soccer Field, Milwaukee, Wis. | Attendance: 56
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Aurora got the scoring started in the eighth minute when Ben Edith found the back of the net off a header from Angel Bajaras' corner kick.
- In the 26th minute, Lino Garcia scored for the Spartans following Ryan Murphy's long throw-in from the sideline.
- Shortly after in the 28th minute, Edith scored his second goal of the match, and ultimately the difference maker, off an assist from Kyle Pierson to push the Spartans' lead to 3-0. The score remained 3-0 Aurora after the opening half.
- WLC got on the board quickly at the start of the second half. Austin Drake (East Troy, Wis./East Troy) scored just 17 seconds into the half off a penalty kick following a hand ball inside the box for his team-leading sixth goal of the season.
- Late in the match in the 89th minute, Reed Luengen (Slinger, Wis./Slinger) cut the deficit to one after he scored from 45 yards out on a free kick on a ball that deflected off the keeper's hands into the net.
- The Warriors could not score the equalizer in the final 1:44 of the match as Aurora held off the hosts.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Aurora had the advantage in shots in the contest by out-shooting the Warriors 15-10, including 7-5 in shots on goal.
- Cedric Guichard (Plantation, Fla./American Heritage) made four saves for the Warriors in 90:00 minutes in the net.
- Nick Zupinski (Kenosha, Wis./Shoreland Lutheran), Isaiah Gronholz (Watertown, Wis./Lakeside Lutheran), and Drake led a balanced Warriors' attack against the Spartans with two shots each.
- Edith led AU with four shots, while the Spartans' goalkeeper Zach McFarland made three saves in the match.
- A total of 45 fouls and seven yellow cards were issued between both sides.
- Wisconsin Lutheran returns to Warrior Soccer Field on Wednesday night when they play host to Edgewood (6-9-0, 3-5-0 NACC) at 7 p.m. The Eagles come into the match off of a 4-2 victory over Lakeland on Saturday.